How does he race against a guy wheel-to-wheel who will turn in when on the outside or run you out of track if on the inside?
“You just have to be very, very wary, more wary than ever before. Rather than giving someone the benefit of the doubt, you have to know that’s what’s going to happen, so you always have to be ready to avoid a collision at all costs, if it means going wide, because at the end of the day you want to see the end of the race, right?
“If you’re stubborn and you hold your ground you’re going to crash. So that’s what I’ve just tried to do. I’ve tried to make sure I avoid the collision.”
“And sometimes you lose points in doing that, for sure, but it’s not just about me. I have 2000 people behind me and through that selfish position I could make – ‘No, I’m going to hold my ground’ and don’t finish – that cost all my team potential bonuses at the end of the year, all the hard work they have to do, the damage of the car.”
“Our upbringing is why we act out the way we do and behave the way we do, good or bad, so I try to understand those so I can have more appreciation of who that character is I am racing against.”
The Mercedes typically isn’t as close to its optimum as the Red Bull when they first take to the track on a grand prix weekend. Not necessarily because the simulation tools are not as good, more likely because its sweet spot is in a more difficult to access place.
Even when it’s working well, it’s not a car which Hamilton can absolutely wring the neck of on corner entry, with late, hard braking and super-hard turn-in, knowing that the back will keep up.
In such a car, Hamilton can do extraordinary things. In anything less than that, he can invariably match the car’s potential and scrape out the lap time when it matters. But it won’t be a tool which will release his full powers.
Give Verstappen a car which sits on a nervous knife edge of rear stability and he’s outrageously quicker than the car should be, using the instability to minimise the time the car is rotating. It’s a very challenging car to drive, but a very fast one.
That’s what Red Bull has given him at every race apart from when it couldn’t be balanced around a rear end that was working just a little too well for the weaker front – in Hungary, Turkey and Qatar. But Verstappen has more frequently than Hamilton this season had a car perfectly suited to his natural style.
“So you look deeper into the detail to try and find any performance that’s left over. So if, for example, the bodywork is slightly too open for cooling and you’re leaving 30 milliseconds of performance on the table, you chase it more than you’ve ever done before. You’re really hard on the guys: ‘Close the damn car up.’
“Or it could be heating from the front discs, or tyre pressures, gear ratios. When you’re shifting the gears, or the revs bog when you do the launch. The fuel target: making sure that you’re not finishing the race with four kilos of fuel and leaving a second of race time or whatever it is on the plate.
“So those are things that I’ve been applying more energy towards and being a lot harder with the team on. Because we need every millisecond we can get, particularly at the places where we have been really quite a bit down. Just going into more detail everywhere… I would say I’ve been more committed than I’ve ever been.”
“I remember when I went up against [Fernando] Alonso, of course I wanted to beat him at the first race so I appreciate and expect George to have that mentality – otherwise he’s not a winner, you know? I think he will have that mentality. Again I’m in a different place. I really want to see him succeed.
“There’s going to be a point where I don’t continue in this sport and, you know, he’s my team-mate and he’s going to be the next Brit that I want to see win a world championship. So I really hope that whilst we are going to be competing and I want to be number one, win on track, I hope I can have a positive influence
.
Enjoy him while you still can.
g8777 έγραψε:Enjoy him while you still can.
g8777 έγραψε:HAMILTON IN-DEPTH: ON VERSTAPPEN TACTICS AND ‘MONSTER DIVA’ MERCHow does he race against a guy wheel-to-wheel who will turn in when on the outside or run you out of track if on the inside?
“You just have to be very, very wary, more wary than ever before. Rather than giving someone the benefit of the doubt, you have to know that’s what’s going to happen, so you always have to be ready to avoid a collision at all costs, if it means going wide, because at the end of the day you want to see the end of the race, right?
“If you’re stubborn and you hold your ground you’re going to crash. So that’s what I’ve just tried to do. I’ve tried to make sure I avoid the collision.”“And sometimes you lose points in doing that, for sure, but it’s not just about me. I have 2000 people behind me and through that selfish position I could make – ‘No, I’m going to hold my ground’ and don’t finish – that cost all my team potential bonuses at the end of the year, all the hard work they have to do, the damage of the car.”


Corto Maltese έγραψε:Ξεκινάω την κουβέντα από σήμερα. Σε περίπτωση τίτλου δίνετε καμία πιθανότητα να τρέξει του χρόνου; Εγώ ούτε για πλάκα. Αυτό που δεν ξέρω είναι τί θα κάνει η Μερκ για διάδοχο, αλλά αυτό είναι άλλο καπέλο.
Lewis Hamilton is delivering superhero performances because recent adversity has "woken up the lion" in the seven-time world champion, according to Mercedes boss Toto Wolff.
"They have woken up the lion on the Saturday in Interlagos. He is absolutely on it. Brutal. And cold blooded," Wolff said.
Anonymous Founder έγραψε:Corto Maltese έγραψε:Ξεκινάω την κουβέντα από σήμερα. Σε περίπτωση τίτλου δίνετε καμία πιθανότητα να τρέξει του χρόνου; Εγώ ούτε για πλάκα. Αυτό που δεν ξέρω είναι τί θα κάνει η Μερκ για διάδοχο, αλλά αυτό είναι άλλο καπέλο.
Ocon και στην θέση του ο Piastri;
Ετοιμαστείτε για 24 αγώνες + 24 sprint το 2028 ή […]
I do not know what I may appear to the world, but[…]
Τι έπαθαν τα μισά αυτοκίνητα στο γύρο σχηματισμού[…]
Δεν είναι για ζωηρή οδήγηση, ίσως ξεφεύγει το D[…]